If you are lucky enough to live in an area populated by Red Squirrels, our Red Squirrel Nest Box is a great way to support this endangered species.
The Red Squirrel Nest box is a handmade wooden nesting box for red squirrels that grey squirrels may occupy. In the UK, red squirrels have declined massively in recent decades due to the loss of suitable coniferous woodland habitats and the American grey squirrel’s introduction, which out-competes the red squirrel for food.
This nest box has many features that ensure the occupants are safe from predators such as pine martens.
- Deep nest box.
- Two entrance/exit holes – one on the front centre and one on the side.
- Internal and external ladder features enable young to climb the slippery sides of the box.
- A perching ledge needs to be fitted on the box once received.
- A pitched roof that sheds rain away from the nest box
- Removal of front panel to allow box cleaning.
- Slow-seasoned untreated FSC-certified timber is used to negate the need to use any chemicals or preservatives which may deter sensitive mammals from using the nest box.
The red squirrel box should be sited high on a tree between 3m and 4m using the backplate mount. Face the box away from both direct sunlight and the prevailing weather.
Dimensions: 545 x 245 x 290 mm